Re: [icon-users] Equations and tables in lists

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:38:40 +0200

In message <0a0125334f.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In message <7fc121334f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <b42c20334f.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> If I am writing examination papers, everything after the heading is in
>>> a list, the items of which are the questions numbers, 1, 2, 3 etc.
>>
>> This is not exactly the idea of lists. You may want to consider using
>> sections instead. [...]

> Ah! Thank you for that, Martin. A little lateral thinking was
> obviously needed. That's a great help.

Well, I would have thought that this is one of the most
straightforward uses for sections (and even more so as the main
TechWriter Tutorial is an exam paper that uses a section for each
question). I thought that your idea of (ab)using a list was rather
creative... That kind of creativity is sometimes needed to work around
limitations but in your case you created them.

> But does the question still remain? It doesn't seem too unreasonable
> that a list should be able to contain anything.

But a list *can* contain anything (paragraphs, equations, tables,
pictures), but each of these is a separate list item. If the list item
is textual, then you get the list bullet, else you do not. The only
oddity I can see is that the caption of a figure embedded in a list
shows the bullet point. Shift-Return inserts a line break in a
paragraph of text, so for obvious reasons you can only use it inside a
paragraph. I am not aware of any problems inserting a table into a
list, simply create an empty list item by pressing Return, then click
on the Table button.

Martin