[icon-users] Changing table column widths (bug(s))

  • From: Mike Hobbs <mike.hobbs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:53:38 +0100

I'm sure I've mentioned this before (but many years ago).
When you change certain column widths in a table TW wrecks the
widths of all columns. For example, if you have a table created with
auto-width (default) then set the format to non-auto-width the column
markers are at
 0     54.1  107.8   163.4
Moving left marker to 20 works fine,
moving right marker to 140 results in...
 31.9  66    119.6   151.5
Now moving left marker to 0.5 results in...
  6.2  71.6  125.6?   157.4?   the ? markers got lost when I touched
the second marker in order to check its exact position - obviously I
just accidentally moved it a pixel or two, the result being...
 28.1  87.5   98    141.2

Clearly the moving of column width markers is uncontrolled.
In fact, with certain tables the resulting column widths are
totally wrecked, so much so that markers are moved right outside
the page margins, some end up with almost zero width and there
doesn't appear to be any logical explanation of how it arrives
at the new marker positions.

The problem usually relates to moving either the left or right
markers. All the ones in between can *usually* be moved without a
problem, but not always. For example, suppose markers are at
  6.2  71.9  125.6   157.4   (as example above)
then move second marker from 71.9 to 40, the result is
 21.8  68.3   87.8   141.5

Examining these results reveals a possible clue as to the bug
here...  Column widths in the above example are:
    A       B       C
  65.70   53.70   31.80
  46.50   19.50   53.70
Note the old width of column B seems to have been applied to C.
On trying to investigate this I then moved the third marker
(between B and C) to 70. Then I touched each marker to see its
exact position...
  48.70  87.10    ??.??  ??.??  (on touching 2nd the positions
all moved - again I must have moved it a pixel or two). The
result was then...
  56.50  95.00  95.80  106.80
However, although 3rd marker position was reported as 95.8 when
touched (select click) its ACTUAL position on the ruler was
approx 103.2 (the other markers appeared to be where they were
reported to be).
Note how just jogging the position of a marker a pixel or two
resulted in seemingly random changes in position of all markers.
Also, note how the table width always seems to get narrower
every time this happens. In this test case the columns contained
  abc   def   ghi
  pqr   stu   vwx
and after the last column width change described above, the
 ghi and vwx  ended up outside the right margin (because the
cell padding was 6.3mm).
Finally, when the above situation occurs, touching the column
markers to try to move them results in *three* red markers being
drawn (as oppposed to just the one you're trying to move).

So, all in all, there are some problems here which need fixing,
and I can't understand why we've gone for many years without this
being flagged as a serious problem. Surely I'm not the only
person who has seen this?  Since I use tables a lot I'd love to
have this fixed.

Cheers,
Mike