Re: [icon-users] Equations and tables in lists

  • From: ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:06:11 +0100

In message <ec5427334f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <0a0125334f.ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           ralph_valmai@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> In message <7fc121334f.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> This is not exactly the idea of lists. You may want to consider using
>>> sections instead. [...]
>
>> Ah! Thank you for that, Martin. A little lateral thinking was
>> obviously needed. That's a great help.
>
> Well, I would have thought that this is one of the most
> straightforward uses for sections (and even more so as the main
> TechWriter Tutorial is an exam paper that uses a section for each
> question). I thought that your idea of (ab)using a list was rather
> creative... That kind of creativity is sometimes needed to work around
> limitations but in your case you created them.

You are quite right and I am grateful to you for pointing out a
simpler method.

I think my judgement is/was affected by my view that a displayed
equation should be part of a properly punctuated sentence. It is
sometimes the end of a sentence and should have a full stop, and
sometimes not, when it might have a comma or whatever following it. In
the latter case the sentence might continue with 'where x is . . .'.
The displayed equation is not often a paragraph on its own; it is
usually part of a longer paragraph. Therefore I was surprised to find
that the shift carriage return had no effect.

However, software doesn't have to use concepts in the same way as the
user provided that it can produce the page layout the user wants with
the minimum fuss. So I don't think there is much to discuss here.

Thanks again,

Ralph

--

Ralph & Valmai Stevens