[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: Lawrence Debow <led@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:26:22 -0600

i can likely do that. what tools are you thinking ought be best to utilize?

On Jun 23, 2008, at 6:21 PM, Karl vom Dorff wrote:

I think in order to do this and rebrand it as a demo kit, you need to make new graphics for:

1) boot screen
2) about app
3) installer app
4) desktop background

Here's an archive containing blank images of the above with the same dimensions as the ones used in Haiku...

http://www.haikuware.com/downloads/registered/ haiku_demokit_artwork.zip

Would be nice if someone graphically gifted (unlike myself) would use them to come up with some demo kit artwork...

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Lawrence Debow <led@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: if BeOS is preferred platform I could likely get it running under Windows. Wonder if I could get it running under VMware itself without XP.

On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Olivier Coursière wrote:

Hi,

Lawrence Debow wrote:

i have been lurking here watching and listening. my company's BeOS background dates back many years but I am not a Developer (they have all moved on!) : ( with that said, what tools are required? I would be very interested in doing this if the tools to be used are fairly user friendly, et al
I think you largely qualify for the job :
- creating a list of coherent people files (maybe with funny names, from different countries, organized in groups...) require only the People application and some imagination - creating some mails related to some of those people should only require BeMail (and still some imagination).
-  ZipOMatic should do the packaging stuff for now

Adding attributes to multimedia files for titles, artists,... may require some extra tools from bebits.

But tools should remain user friendly as we want to show key features of Haiku to "standard" users. If not, we probably miss our goals (http://www.haiku-os.org/about or 1 below) and that should be corrected as soon as possible :-)

Welcome on board !

Olivier

1) "Inspired by the Be Operating System, Haiku aims to provide users of all levels with a personal computing experience that is simple yet powerful, and void of any unnecessary complexities."

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.karlvd.com