[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:38:09 -0400

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I think in order to do this and rebrand it as a demo kit, you need to
> > make
> > new graphics for:
> >
> > 1) boot screen
> > 2) about app
> > 3) installer app
>
> Hmm it's still intended to demo *Haiku* so I don't see a reason to
> rebrand it, that would spoil the thing, since the intend is to really
> show it's Haiku.
> There it's different than a distro.
> It's not something to distribute to others, but to use to show to
> others.
>
> > 4) desktop background
>
> I think the first workspace should still have the haiku logo.
> But more are ok.
>
> It should be possible to have a DemoData optional package in svn, that
> would install the media files collected from other places.

Senryu is meant to demonstrate Haiku's capabilities too, and I had to follow
guidelines...

Haiku's website talks about demonstration versions. From Haiku's website:

Promotional releases must be compiled with GCC 2.95.3, they must show the
following disclaimer in read-only form after every boot-up, and CDs must
additionally be labeled with that disclaimer: *"This promotional demo is
based on unstable pre-release Haiku code, and is intended for developers as
a technology preview. This is not the official Haiku distribution (to be
released at http://haiku-os.org)."*

I think you can't have different versions of Haiku floating around, it will
cause confusion...

I'm sure Koki will chime in on this one.

--
Karl vom Dorff
B.Sc (Hons) Biology, (German minor)

http://www.karlvd.com