[openbeos] Re: What about a demonstration kit ?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:09:29 -0700

Howdy,

Olivier Coursière wrote:
Lawrence Debow wrote:
i have been lurking here watching and listening. my company's BeOS background dates back many years but I am not a Developer (they have all moved on!) : ( with that said, what tools are required? I would be very interested in doing this if the tools to be used are fairly user friendly, et al
I think you largely qualify for the job :
- creating a list of coherent people files (maybe with funny names, from different countries, organized in groups...) require only the People application and some imagination

Correct. Just make sure you use fake email addresses that are known not to work; ie., olivier@xxxxxxxxx ;)

- creating some mails related to some of those people should only require BeMail (and still some imagination).

This one I am not sure about.

In my own demo package, I have (a few thousand) email messages from several Haiku mailing lists. These messages are all available online in archives like...

//www.freelists.org/archives/haiku-web/06-2008/

...but the email addresses that are hidden in the list archive become visible in the email files, so we obviously cannot distribute them as is.

If somebody could write a script to replace all email addresses from "name@xxxxxxxxxx" to a "name@xxxxxxxxx" format, that would do the trick I suppose. If not, I don't know how one can create fake incoming/outgoing emails with fake email addresses.

-  ZipOMatic should do the packaging stuff for now

Absolutely! We don't need apt, yum or any other package manager for this. :)

Adding attributes to multimedia files for titles, artists,... may require some extra tools from bebits.

It's extremely easy to convert mp3 IDs to attributes (or vice versa) using Army Knife:

http://www.bebits.com/app/1774

It's mostly drag and drop, and it works in Haiku (I have used it extensively).

Cheers,

Koki