[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: Sikosis <sikosis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:17:21 +1000

I'm in the same boat as Dennis -- except I'm located in Australia. I would be very keen to see if there is something "virtual" that could be done.

Cheers

Sikosis

On 23/07/2008, at 2:42 AM, "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 2:20 AM, Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Quick follow up on my last email on WalterCon from two weeks ago.

I am holding the meeting room at the Red Roof Inn for as long as I can, but as time goes by, there is no guarantee that the hotel will keep space for us unless we sign the contract. We obviously do not want to make a committment to pay ($600) unless we know there is enough people interested in making this happen, so people, please speak up.

With regards to our presence at the Ohio LinuxFest, we are in a similar situation. I have been contacted and was told that we are guaranteed a booth at the conference, but I do not want to committ unless there is enough people interested.

So, is there nobody interested in reviving WalterCon this year?

I am most definitely interested in WalterCon and would love to help but due to my distance (eastern Canada) I am unable to help at this time. If it were not so expensive to travel I would definitely offer my services. Someday I hope this to change but for now I'll have to watch the *Cons from the sidelines (unless there's one very close to where I live).

I know this doesn't help a darn thing but I just felt the need to express my interest.

Cheers!

Jorge/aka Koki
On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Howdy,

This is a follow up to this thread about WalterCon 2008 (WC08):

//www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/06-2008/msg00093.html

Unfortunately, there has been a change of plans: real life is getting
on the way for me, and I have had to reshuffle priorities. As a
result, I will not be able to do any Haiku-related stuff for the
foreseeable future. This means that I will not be able to be involved
in the organization of WC08.

So I am writing this message to see if those with a vested interest in
WC08 will want to actually make this event happen with their own
hands. First, let me explain where we stand.

In order to coincide with and potentially take advantage of the
exposure and participation at the Ohio Linux Fest 2008 (OLF), we had
chosen the weekend of Oct. 11 & 12 in Columbus, Ohio for WC08. OLF is
held on Sat. 10/11, so we had planned WC08 as a two day event on 10/12
& 10/13 (Sun & Mon). This is what we have done so far:

* OLF

We have applied for .org booth at OLF and for two Haiku talks at (Ryan
Leavengood & Bryan Varner). These are still to be confirmed, but since
OLF is a community-driven event, I expect the responses to our
applications to be positive.

* WC08

I have a (yet to be signed) contract for a meeting room for 10/12 &
12/13 (8:00AM - 10:00PM) at the Red Roof Inn. The hotel offers an
adequate meeting room (max. capacity of 40 people, wifi, etc.) at a
reasonable price ($600 for two days), a good group rate with no
minimum requirements ($99/night), plus a convenient location (a few
minutes walk from the convention center where OLF takes place).

Since everything depends on securing a place for WC08, I suppose the
first thing would be to sign the contract with the Red Roof Inn; I
know that Haiku Inc. is commited to bearing the cost of the meeting
room, so that should not be a problem, provided that there is enough
interest, of course.

Where the planning goes from there (if anywhere), it is up to the
community. I personally think that a (grass-roots) collective approach
would be better, but that's just my opinion. I just really hope that
WC08 happens, one way or another.

Anyway, my apologies again for not being able to give you better news;
I was quite excited about WC08 and I feel bad enough that I have to
pass the ball on at this stage. But real life comes first; I hope you
all understand.

Cheers,

Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki

PS: I am not following the mailing lists, so if you want/need to
contact me, please send me an email off the list; I will try to repond
ASAP, but don't be surprised if I take a few days.

--
Dennis d'Entremont
IT Professional CNA, MCP, A+, ITIL