[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:56:55 -0700

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Dennis d'Entremont <
dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/22 Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> > http://www.haiku-os.org/getting_involved_in_haiku
>>
>> Oh...we need to update that indeed :)
>>
>> Still mentions M. Phipps as the "accountant".
>>

> Part of the reason that I don't put a whole lot of faith in that page is
> precisely that which you have just mentioned. It's hard to tell if what is
> listed is still needed or not.
>
> I also think that new community members can be quite shy and maybe not
> willing to speak up themselves right away. Maybe a weekly or monthly message
> saying something like "We need your help" and listing current tasks that
> general users and/or professionals can help with would encourage more
> volunteers.
>
> Also, if there are a few people like me who don't check the website super
> often (other than the RSS feeds of the main page) then we might not notice
> when/if these sections of the website get updated.
>

> The last time I offered to help with general stuff nothing ever came of it
> so that's also a little discouraging but won't stop me from donating some of
> my time in the future. I may be qualified to help around the website with
> general maintenance and content updating. I'm not a super writer but I can
> manage. I will offer my help in that regard. Unfortunately I am not an
> accountant, lawyer, or copyright nerd so I'm sorry I can't help much there.

I am afraid that those are the exact areas where Haiku Inc. needs help.

I suggest that the community change their attitude and become part of the
solution.

Have you noticed the website needs new screenshots? Take nice the
screenshots yourself and submit them in a bug report on Trac.

Are you a good writer and would like to help with documentation for Haiku?
Join the Documentation Team:

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/teams/documentation
//www.freelists.org/list/haiku-doc

Would you like to see a better website for Haiku and you have the skills,
time and motivation? Join the Website Team:

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/teams/website
//www.freelists.org/list/haiku-web

I could go on and on. Our website has most of the relevant info on how to
help out in and mailing lists for pretty much every area of the project. You
just have to look for it and read it; and if for any reason you don't find
it, you can always ask.

We can't help it if people can't speak up because they are shy or will not
look for the information because they are lazy. Whether one belongs to Haiku
Inc. or not is irrelevant: we are all volunteers.

Jorge