[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:00:09 -0400

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:46 AM, Michael Phipps
<michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't really understand why this is, either. But it was always pretty much
> true. From the very beginning, there was a lot more interest in Europe than
> in the US. That was one of the biggest surprises to me from the beginning.
> Even with all of the evangelization that we did in the US (and I think that
> we did more here than in Europe), we never really got a lot of traction.
>
> I *know* that there is a large market here. People *hate* Windows, both for
> its' low quality and for Microsoft's monopolistic and just out and out wrong
> business practices. The problem, I think, is that people are looking for a
> complete solution. Linux has been promising it for 10 years now and people, I
> think, just despair of anything ever coming out.
>
> That is part of the reason that, early in the project, I pushed very hard to
> keep a low profile. I am believe in under promising and over delivering.
> Unfortunately, I also found out how the press can sometimes take quotes out
> of context.
>
> Anyway - I think that the people in the US who might be interested and
> capable of helping are working too many hours already at their day jobs. Like
> me, for example. :-)

this is my impression:
In Europe there is more of a culture of efficiency. Getting the most
out of your dollar.
In the US there is more of an attitude of having all the latest
features and if it's too slow, just throw more ram and cpu at it and
it will be ok. "oh, haiku doesn't support abc and xyz? nevermind."
Europeans are more likely to forgive and can live without all the
goodies if you offer a quality product.