[openbeos] Re: Updating OSes bit by bit

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 20:37:04 +0000

> On 2004-05-24 at 15:56:34 [-0400], Plüss Roland wrote:
> >
> > >AFA source based patching - like I said - this is a distro related
> > > issue. I
> > >don't personally have any plans to build a system that does source
> > > based
> > >patching. Be didn't and I don't see that it is a huge win. That
> > > isn't to say
> > >that SOMEONE can't. It just isn't me, nor will I assign it to
> > > someone.
> > >
> > did not intend to demand it anyways. just have been my two cents ;=
> > )
>
> I think that, for you, a Gentoo style distro might be the right
> thing.
> This is exactly the reason that we are working things the way that we
> are -
> there is no "one size fits all". We can make a distro that is nearly
> perfect
> for any given user. That is pretty easy. The hard part is making a
> distro for
> EVERY user. That is the hard part. And that is why we aren't doing
> that - we
> are letting others pick niches. Someone wants to be the Gentoo of
> OBOS? Great.
> Another person wants to be the RedHat of OBOS? Great, too.

I don't really want to continue the off-topicness, but this has me a
bit worried. Surely there will be an official R1 release of OBOS,
freely available from the OBOS website?

One of the reasons I am so interested in the OBOS project is because
the entire OS is being developed by one team, with the same goals in
mind, same release schedules etc. It's certainly a major step up from
the linux world where every little part of the OS is developed by
different groups with different aims and everything.

The next step is to distribute and release it yourselves too, all from
the same central OBOS website. A single "official" distribution which
the huge majority of users will be on would be great for developers and
people (none of these strange linux dependency issues - "will work with
OBOS R1" is much simpler for users to understand). Obviously the
license means there will be smaller distros of source or whatever, but
I really think the main distro should be an "official" release by the
project.

The step after that is to sell it commercially, and reinvest the funds
created from that straight back into development.

There is such an opportunity here to show that an open source OS can be
fast, stable, user friendly, consistent, well led with a known
direction for the whole OS and a small team overseeing the whole thing,
and commercially viable too. Please don't waste it!

I hope I can be around for some live IRC chats with the people at
WalterCon.

Simon