[openbeos] Re: Updating OSes bit by bit

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:23:39 -0400

On 2004-05-24 at 16:37:04 [-0400], Simon Taylor wrote:
> I don't really want to continue the off-topicness, but this has me a bit
> worried. Surely there will be an official R1 release of OBOS, freely
> available from the OBOS website?

This isn't really off topic. What we plan is basically this - that there will
be what I call a "mini-distro" prepared and freely available. This will contain
what is in our CVS and only that. No browser, for example. No IRC client. Etc.
What I think of as a "distro-maker's distro". In order to call yourself a
$newName distro, you will have to include everything that is in the mini-distro
as is (or changed within some limits). That is the protection that you will
have that anything that calls itself $newName won't be incompatible. Everyone
will have the same media kit, etc, or will have cleared it with us or won't be
able to call it $newName. There won't be .so/DLL pain like on other OSs. If you
want to make something with all of the API changed into Elbonian, you can do
that, but you can't call it $newName. :-)

If you want to download this mini-distro and add your own apps, etc, you
certainly can. If you want to get a distro from someone else, you certainly can.

> One of the reasons I am so interested in the OBOS project is because the
> entire OS is being developed by one team, with the same goals in mind, same
> release schedules etc. It's certainly a major step up from the linux world
> where every little part of the OS is developed by different groups with
> different aims and everything.

100% agreed.

> The next step is to distribute and release it yourselves too, all from the
> same central OBOS website. A single "official" distribution which the huge
> majority of users will be on would be great for developers and people (none
> of these strange linux dependency issues - "will work with OBOS R1" is much
> simpler for users to understand). Obviously the license means there will be
> smaller distros of source or whatever, but I really think the main distro
> should be an "official" release by the project.

I think that we are on the same page here.

> The step after that is to sell it commercially, and reinvest the funds
> created from that straight back into development.

That is possible, but I won't commit to it.

> There is such an opportunity here to show that an open source OS can be fast,
> stable, user friendly, consistent, well led with a known direction for the
> whole OS and a small team overseeing the whole thing, and commercially viable
> too. Please don't waste it!

You should know me better than that. :-)

> I hope I can be around for some live IRC chats with the people at WalterCon.

Me too!

Michael