[openbeos] Re: Updating OSes bit by bit

  • From: Linus Sarnhult <linus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:49:44 +0200

thinnking. the only problem with linux is that (and BeOS shares somewhat the same problem) it is based on c++ (or c) which is the source of many, many problems with improper programming. writing a program in c++ is one thing, making it stable another but making it really good is a masterpiece.
anyways. i see that i'm producing a war in here because of this simple statement i throw into it. don't be offended. open source has the idea of allowing all to participate. it just does not define in what sense.

Ehm... BeOS got pascal, asm and even basic compilers.. doesn't it?

i refered in this one more about the driver load and compatibility load. what makes windows a pain in the ass to use and makes linux sometimes a pain to config is the attempt to satisfy a large amount of devices out there. i mean i still cannot use my networking card i especially bought once to work under linux, windows and beos. somehow the driver doesn't recognize the card although the chip should match the drivers.

Try reinstalling the driver (even all files is already on the hd) from the cd, each time you take out the printer cable from it's usb port and insert it in another one. (Windows xp, hp laserjet 1005).. or even better.. insert another 128mb of ram.. and then REINSTALL THE PRINTER DRIVER!

c++ is the source of evil... procedural programming in this special case. most of those bugs are buffer overflows or underflows which result in a wrong usage of memory. as long as you rely on c++ as your main os language you will always confront those problems. a good framework can reduce the problem but not extinct it.
i'm eager to see your good work though... but i'm more eager to fully compile BeOS from scratch... BFS: BeOS From Scratch ^_^

Are you refering to the OO way of development? .. hmm.. I wonder in what direction M$ is takin their system/api:s... =)

Drivers/low-lever stuff in beos is still C/Asm, if I'm not mistaken...

And the object oriented API and component based system (translators, servers) was what got me hooked on BeOS.

- Linus