[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Cameron Mac Millan <casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:47:29 -0500

> I did some searching on the AMD XpressROM BIOS and it is used in a
> number of devices.

Yeah, my searching on it seemed to suggest that it was popular in
embedded stuff.

> Various extracts from these manuals below:
>
> "Selecting the option CD-ROM Drive from the BIOS boot order configuration also
> enables boot from a USB device. If a CD-ROM device is already present, the
> system will attempt boot from the CD-ROM before attempting boot from a USB
> device."

Would you mind forwarding the links you dug up?  I think you may have
run across some things that I haven't.

> Also look for something like IDE BIOS support and make sure it is enabled

It is - it's actually the first option in the IDE Configuration menu.

> So I think on the same page as where you enabled flash interface make
> sure CD-ROM interface is enabled.

Also under IDE Configuration, and also enabled.

> You should try various options on that page but probably leave the
> chip select stuff alone.

The chip select stuff is default from the reset at this stage, and I
really have no intention of touching it.

As you can probably imagine (or have read by now), this is a pretty
bare-bones BIOS.  There's not really a whole lot in there to play with,
at least as relates to boot devices.  We're pretty much out of knobs to
turn at this point; DMA settings are about all that's left.  I've posted
a (fairly lousy) cameraphone shot of the screen in question at
http://tinypic.com/r/9lbdcg/6 in case there's anything useful I may be
able to try that I'm not thinking of.

Cheers,

- Cameron.