[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 23:47:55 +0100

On 2010-01-03 at 21:03:23 [+0100], Cameron Mac Millan
<casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 1/3/10 2:54 PM, PulkoMandy wrote:
> >> - Unzip it and dd it to my USB flash drive (`dd if=nightly.image
> >> of=/path/to/flash/drive' under OS X 10.6.2)
> >
> > which path are you using ? on linux it is important that you dd to
> > /dev/sdx and not /dev/sdx1, in order to get something bootable.
> > The other parts seem fine.
>
> Point taken, but OS X device paths don't work the same way as Linux' do.
>   In my case it's usually /dev/disk2, which is checked with `diskutil
> list' before doing the `dd'.  I deliberately fudged the path in my
> example because OS X paths are different to what most folks are used to.

It's always a good idea to provide more info rather than less. E.g. the
exact error message you get would have told us whether it stems from the
Haiku stage 1 boot loader ("Failed to load OS. Press any key to reboot...")
 or from the BIOS. I guess the latter, which would support, as others have
suggested, that the BIOS requires a partition table.

Just create a partition table on the media with a single active partition
and dd Haiku to that partition instead. Don't forget to run makebootable on
it afterwards.

CU, Ingo