[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Cameron Mac Millan <casmacmillan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:09:44 -0500

>> After the reset, I did some poking around.  The Motherboard Device
>> Configuration | IDE Configuration | Flash Interface item was set to
>> disabled, so I enabled it; the BIOS describes this setting as,
>> "Enable/Disable Flash over IDE pins interface."  My assumption is that
>> this emulates an IDE disk over USB, effectively.
>
> Quite possibly.  Also look out for any options that mention USB-HDD

The only other options relating to that are for boot order and boot delay.

>> With the option enabled, I was able to boot a USB flash disk containing
>> a raw image as far as the boot loader.  The boot loader, however,
>> couldn't see a partition to boot.  I did play around with combinations
>> of writing to the raw disk, writing to a specific partition,
>> makebootable, etc., but with no luck.  It just doesn't see a bootable
>> partition on the flash drive - that is to say, no partitions are listed
>> in the bootloader, and rescan doesn't find any either.
>
> Ok so now you have moved onto the Haiku Boot Loader not finding a
> partition to boot from?

Yes.  'Select boot volume' is set to 'none', and 'Rescan volumes' does
not find anything.

> So you can hit the space bar and get the boot loader options screen?

No.  I have the three main options ('Select boot volume', 'Select safe
mode options', 'Select fail-safe video mode') and 'Reboot'.  'Continue
booting' is unselectable due to no boot volume being found, and the
space bar does not bring me to the boot loader options menu.

> If so this is further than before?

Yes, definitely.

>> Apologies for that; I wasn't as clear as I could have been.  It's the
>> BIOS "no disk" error.
>
> But no longer?

Correct.

Cheers,