[haiku] Re: Raw images: what am I doing wrong here?

  • From: Marcos Alves <retrojogos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:51:42 +0000

Hello.

Having been a member (since the beggining, the first deadmoo image) of the
hackintosh world, I got to learn a bit about OS X *nix roots.

I'd remove all partitions on the drive, power cycle it and try a (*dd
if=haiku-image.raw of=/dev/rdiskX bs=2048*) the X being, of course, the
correct number for your USB Flash Drive.

After, boot a Haiku CD (Alpha 1 should work) and mount the Haiku partition
on the flash drive to let say /test (*mount -t bfs /link/to/the/flash/drive
/test*)

and a (*makebootable /test) *should do the trick.

But since you mention you can boot the Alpha CD, why not just dd it from
within haiku? I believe it would be way easier and all you'd need was a
fat32 or bfs partition to host the image.

If it doesn't work and as Ingo said, you should paste here (or on a
haiku.pastebin.com if it gets too big even tho it shouldn't) the terminal
output, so that we could analyse it.

There are a lot of ways that haiku can be written to a flashdrive these
days, but I found that the easiest (but more time-consuming one) is to boot
linux and just compile it straight to disk from SVN.

Regards,
Marcos.
*

*Since the raw image should already provide with the partition info and the
bootsector it should work since it would write the image starting in the
first sector of the drive.

Also as noted on many OS X related websites, when using dd, /dev/rdiskX is
the way to go instead of /dev/diskXsY.

--
Marcos Alves aka Xeon3D
www.xeon3d.info