[haiku] Re: Open Source Games

  • From: Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 02:43:52 +0200

scott mc wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Michael Oliveira
>> <michaelvoliveira@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody
>>>
>>> After a Haiku alpha install, I was searching for a few BeOS games and
>>> noticed that, well, is BeOS games still (1996-2001). The best game that I
>>> got was Wesnorth.
>>>
>> Did you check here yet?
>>
>> http://zeta-games.com/download
>>
>> Not all of them run on Haiku, but some of the porting work has clearly
>> been done ;)
>>

>>> So I compiled a list of open source games for porting since that Haiku is
>>> now an official plataform
>>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> 5 - Bos wars: RTS like C&C! I play for hours! (http://www.boswars.org/)
>>> Needs compiled SDL with ALSA support.
>>>
>> I see this one:
>> http://zeta-games.com/remository/view-details/6-strategy/17-battle-of-survival.html
>>

>>> Then again, I suppose SDL and OpenAL and OpenGL need to be sorted, first...
>>>
>> Well, SDL and OpenGL are pretty much available already...
>>
>> - Urias
>>

> Same with OpenAL, although I haven't tested to hear if it works, that
> would require a working sound chip first...
> http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/media-libs/openal
> There's some information about porting over at ports.haiku-files.org,
> more help there is welcome.
> Many of the dependent libraries for most of the games listed on BeBits
> have now been ported to Haiku, so it shouldn't be too much work to do
> the last step which is to report the game.  Probably the toughest part
> of that is to search down any previous BeOS specific sections in the
> code and determine if that fix/workaround applies to Haiku or not and
> if so add a haiku case into the code.  As a first step you could join
> HaikuPorts.  Then search gentoo portage for the game and if it's
> listed there, in the case of bos wars you get this page:
> http://gentoo-portage.com/games-strategy/boswars, from there click on
> the "view" link and it will show the dependency libs:
> RDEPEND="dev-lang/lua
>       media-libs/libsdl
>       media-libs/libpng
>       media-libs/libvorbis
>       media-libs/libtheora
>       media-libs/libogg
>       virtual/opengl
>       x11-libs/libX11"
> DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
>       dev-util/scons"
>
> Let's see, we've got all of those except libX11, which may or may not
> be a showstopper.  If it was ported to BeOS at one time, there's a
> good chance there's some if def __BEOS__ cases in the source code, so
> run grep -nri 'beos' * on the source you downloaded and extracted.
> You did download it right...
> That grep command should show a list of places where there's been
> checks for BeOS...  that should give you a start of where to dig
> [...]
Hm... concerning games... anybody has a plan to port FOX-ToolKit over?
My engine uses it for the entire editing tools. Not a requirement for
running a game itself but it would be awesome to have full editing up
and running :D . Biggest problem though should be OpenGL. I doubt there
are recent enough proprietary drivers around which allow to drive some
recent graphic boards.

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland