[haiku] Re: Open Source Games

Michael Weirauch wrote:
> 2009/9/18 Roland Plüss <roland@xxxxxxx>:
>
>> I should have been most probably a bit more specific. It seems to be a
>> problem with SCons and it's header/library detection routine. I just
>> installed PNG from a precompiled binary and it fails to find it. Looks
>> like SCons needs a fix up but for this I need to know first what the
>> correct locations in Haiku are for the headers/libraries to look for. I
>> assume /boot/common/include and /boot/common/lib but maybe there are
>> more than those.
>>
> Roland,
> SCons is being initialized with a minimal set of "hints" in the
> platform initialization
> file as with every other platform init file. It's told in which paths
> to find binaries
> and the glue files for the linker.
>
> AFAIU, the rest is up to the developer setting up the SConscripts correctly.
>
> If, of course, other platforms toolchains have a wider set of default
> search and include paths,
> then one might reconsider providing some more hints to SCons on Haiku
> by default.
> But I think it is not necessary. Building blender with the SCons 1.0.1
> patch from haiku-ports
> shows no issues at all. (After setting up the blender-specific
> platform init file)
>
> Michael

Somehow I doubt this is correct because if I run a crossplatform
SConstruct file straight and it fails to find headers in the system
headers path then it's not my fault. Unless you expect a crossplatform
SConstruct to know the system path on all platforms it could be compiled
for. With Haiku this doesn't even work since os.name returns "posix" so
you have no way to tell if it's Haiku you compile on right now or Linux
or some other Unix derivate. So how should you know then if you have to
look in /boot/develop/headers instead of /usr/include this way?

--
Yours sincerely
Plüss Roland

Leader and Head Programmer