[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 11:05:00 -0500

>> Like doing things with the kernel, where you can't use C++. :-)
>
>Just out of curiousity, why can't you=3F I was under the impression that
>although you can't use exceptions, everything else works fine.

Truth is, you probably can, at least in some limited way.
Personally, I think that it would be more pain than it is worth.
Every time you play with the stack, you have to be more careful.
Plus, the compilers for C++ do things that are not as easily understood,
from my POV, so it is more difficult to know if you are accidentally breaking a
rule.
Finally, as has been my experience outside of OBOS, C++ makes it very easy
to invoke a lot of code with only a little bit of code. That is part of its
power.
I had an issue at work where x[i]=""; was invoking a couple hundred lines of
code.
It was used in a loop as an initializer for every data item read from a flat
file.
It took me a day or so with the code profiler to figure out what was going on
and
to replace that with x[i].clear(); which had a different, much faster
implementation.
That is the sort of thing that you want to avoid in kernels.