[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:40:44 +0100

Hello,

>For a lot of stuff you need kernel support (or at least support
>from some module living in kernel space). A pure POSIX
>implementation in userland is next to undoable... tell me,
>for instance, how do you plan to implement fork() in userland.

Yup, partially true, as fork() could be implemented in userland in BeOS
:) Just a matter of cloning an area :) But sure, support in the kernel
is =5Fa lot=5F better, for several OS internals if needed. However, I don't
think Travis would mind too much implementing a function or two more in
his kernel to facilitate POSIX functionality, he just doesn't want to
limit the design of his kernel =5Fbecause of=5F implementing POSIX.....

Regards,

Ithamar.