[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 16:46:50 -0500

>For Travis stuff good starting points are:
>
>    newos\include\kernel\int.h
>    newos\kernel\int.c
>    newos\kernel\arch\i386\arch_int.c
>    newos\kernel\arch\i386\arch_interrupt.S
>
>And some of the sample drivers. I think Ithamar is currently working on the
>IDE driver.

Actually, that is something of an interesting story.
There are about 4 versions of something out there for IDE. Ithamar was going to
look at it. He even submitted some changes. Then along came Thomas Kurschel, who
wrote a replacement IDE handler for BeOS. The issue is that he looked at some Be
sample code. Now - that sample code (the IDE driver) was released by Be to
developers,
on the condition that they not distribute it to the whole world, since they may
want to
change it.

The legal questions aside, Thomas seems to want to do IDE and has something that
works far better than what was, so that seems to be the way to go.