[openbeos] Re: Kernel status (POSIX)

  • From: "P Willis" <p.willis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 10:27:21 -0800

> i) unless you get Travis to buy the Mach model you'll have to fork.

What ever model you choose, makes absolutely no difference to me.
Just let me know where the base code is and we'll make this thing work.

> ii) stating that Travis opposes to introduction of posix in his kernel
>    is a mis-representation: as I perceive it, it would be better
>    worded as "building the next posix clone is not his driving force".
>    Some stuff will be there, some other will not.

True. The only people who are really worried about posix are
those who are porting apps from eunucs.
My personal opinion was to strap crappy old posix (spelled U*N*I*X)
onto a rocket and launch it into the sun. People seemed to object
though, so rather than have a realy bad port of posix, from something
slow and spagetti like (linux), I thought it would be good to make
an *unbroken* implementation, that uses the features of BeOS
to maximize throughput.

Peter