[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:14:03 +0100

Am 21.11.2009, 22:00 Uhr, schrieb Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Matt,

thank you very much for the budget projection and your commitment to supporting BeGeistert in the future.

If it matters, in the past the coding sprint following BG, the
informal coding sprints, and EU shows didn't receive funding.

This isn't strictly true. We have received some funding from Haiku, Inc. for developers to attend in the past.

(Honestly, I'm not sure why they weren't funded in the past. Lately,
I've been nagging François and other people who attend EU shows to
come forth with expenses.)

We, the Haiku Support Association, has asked for contributions in the past. As far as I know this is the preferred method for the developers and it certainly reduces transaction costs. For the sake of clarity: the HSA is a registered German (and thus European) association which organises and runs BeGeistert and necessary the legal person for any contacts. Many of the core developers are members and the relationship with Haiku, Inc. is complementary. Membership to the one geek one vote association is open to all but subject to the approval by the elected supervisory board.

These items have already inflated the
normal costs. So we wanted to initially set an incremental goal. But I
totally agree with the good nature of everyone to donate towards a
concrete goal.

FWIW. At the current pitful exchange rate and exorbitant PayPal charges USD 1000 per year would cover about 2 developer attendances (excluding loss of earnings) per year. We would, of course, like to expand this as much as possible.

Regarding the planned funding of North American and EU events - from a development perspective I'd prefer more money spent here as we are planning to support attendance of more events from 2010: FOSDEM in Brüssels, LinuxTag in Chemnitz, possibly CeBIT in March, RMLL in July and others depending on resources (personnel and financial)

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20