[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:30:57 +0100

On 2009-11-23 at 21:49:59 [+0100], Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> > On 2009-11-23 at 19:37:11 [+0100], Axel Dörfler
> > <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The main problem is that it is currently not wise to pay developers
> >> competitive rates - that would just be too expensive, even with the
> >> larger budget. IOW while I would be okay with working for Haiku on
> >> some things for a reduced rate, I would do so only for a limited
> >> number of hours/projects.
> >>

> > Same here.
> >

> And that should be perfectly OK, as it would still be a much more
> effective use of the funds to get Haiku closer to R1 faster IMHO.

[snip]

> Would it be possible to come up with an R1 roadmap and tie the funding to
> meeting the various development milestones that would take Haiku to its
> first full version release?

Although I don't want to compete with Axel and Ingo ;-), let me say for
completeness sake, that I would also be up for it. I am in the process of
getting a job where I moved, but I have no idea how much time I could spend
on it, probably not very much at first anyway. I'll know more tomorrow
night.

Should we come up with a prioritized list of tasks and then collectively
decide who would be our best guy among the willing devs (as potential for
awkwardness, though)? Or should each dev make one or more project proposals
and then everyone gets to vote on these?

Best regards,
-Stephan