[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:15:06 +0100

Am 22.11.2009, 18:53 Uhr, schrieb Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Very focused donation drives (like HCD) are known to be much more effective than dripping donations. So, in addition to the ongoing donations and subscriptions, it would still be worth trying to take the HCD-style short-lived donation drive and repurpose it to fund development milestones.

I have to take issue with this claim. There is considerable evidence from charities such as Oxfam that while this is true for individual appeals (LiveAid, Children in Need, etc.) it also leads to donor fatigue, PR-abuse and less donations per person per annum.

It is essential to have a clear list of priorities and targets as you say but accountability (what was it actually spent on and who decided) is, in my opinion, more important than "earmarking" or "ring-fencing". You can get into all kinds of problems, including legal ones as it can count as misrepresentation or even fraud, collecting money for one thing and using it for another. However, some people will respond better to individual drives along the lines of "We need your money for this now" rather than "Giving us USD 5 a month will help do this, this and this..."

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20