[haiku] Re: Haiku Inc: Proposed Annual Budget

Hi,

2009/11/23 Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 17:30, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Should we come up with a prioritized list of tasks and then collectively
>> decide who would be our best guy among the willing devs (as potential for
>> awkwardness, though)? Or should each dev make one or more project proposals
>> and then everyone gets to vote on these?
>>

> Personally, I believe individuals should formally submit project
> proposals. After all, they are essentially applying for contract work.
>
> I even drafted a basic process at
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/WorkInProgress/RequestFunding#Employment

Honestly, I dislike the idea that Haiku Inc. would fund developers. I
find it disrespectful for the developers that put in countless man
hours to work for free, as well as for the less sexy positions like
web designers, translators, documentation writers and yes, I am
biased, system admins who do necessary but less visible work.

I think it is a violation of the basic principle that Haiku Inc. does
not interfere with the direction the project is taking. I know we have
HCD, but I think that's different, as it has a dedicated funding
mechanism, so I see Haiku Inc. only as managing the money, not as
agents. This changes when the board has to decide how unmarked cash is
divided over individuals that get paid for things others are doing for
free. It is like the lottery. The acceptable alternative would be
earmarked funding for developers, but there is already a system for
that: the bounties at Haikuware.

And making it 'democratic' would not make a difference. You are asking
a group of unpaid volunteers to vote for who in their midst gets paid
for the same work they do for the honour. It serves no purpose except
creating spite among the devs.

Funding for development should stay where it is now: at companies
sponsoring developers to do paid work on Haiku for whatever reason, or
at community driven fund raising where Haiku Inc. should at most play
a money-managing role.