[haiku] Re: Connecting the Community with BeShare

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:29:46 +0100

On 11/03/2012 18:35, Jimmy wrote:

> Vision looks good, and I'd love it to be the answer. I'm not sure it is
> from my experience. It's not completely intuitive to setup, (at least
> for me..) This was my experience:
>
> How do you get it going? I guess I need to Copy/past link from haiku
> site (because WebPositive doesn't know what to do with it..) put it
> where? Hmm.. I guess under "Network Setup... now what? Click
> "Defaults".. click "Add new.." paste. Hmm.. that didn't work, network
> list still gray... Maybe if I give myself a new nick.. ok getting
> further..  now what, lets look at the documentation. Oh wait there isn't
> any.. (right?) Then I finally set it up correctly (I guess) and the chat
> window isn't updating. I type a message and I don't see it displayed, I
> don't see any chat going on etc..
> Am I doing something wrong? If so, a lot of other people will too and
> give up way before I would..
>
> It needs to be more dummy proof. Whatever community hub we decide on
> needs to be a few clicks away to attract non dev's & techies and
> actually build a community.

IIRC the package should now have freenode set up by default.

As for irc: URLs, I started writing the code to handle it correctly in
Vision, but didn't finish. Thing is, the IRC URI scheme isn't really
standardized, and not broadly used either, sadly.

But you can send a patch :D

> Also, having the ability to share files like BeShare aids in
> development- users can test builds instantly, give feedback instantly,
> find a library file they might need, a dev can share a source, another
> patches it and gives it back, discusses it etc.. without leaving
> BeShare! I did that today with SMCollins to test the ice1712 driver.
> I know other programs can probably do this, but I don't know any that
> are working nicely in Haiku now (without QT).

IRC too can share files, but DCC isn't very user friendly yet.

François.