[haiku] Re: Connecting the Community with BeShare

  • From: Jimmy <jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:35:33 +0000

Julian Harnath wrote:
Brian Hague <alphaseinor@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
The main reason why beshare died was the politics of the users,

That's the advantage of IRC: if discussion on different topics gets too much, it can be moved to a separate channel. On BeShare there is only a single "channel" per server.

In the end I think IRC still wins when it comes to anything chat-
related, even over instant messaging. Oh, and Haiku images come with Vision, arguably one of the best IRC clients out there, preinstalled... :-)

Greetings,
Julian

Not to beat a dead horse and with the utmost respect for everyone here...

Vision looks good, and I'd love it to be the answer. I'm not sure it is from my experience. It's not completely intuitive to setup, (at least for me..) This was my experience:

How do you get it going? I guess I need to Copy/past link from haiku site (because WebPositive doesn't know what to do with it..) put it where? Hmm.. I guess under "Network Setup... now what? Click "Defaults".. click "Add new.." paste. Hmm.. that didn't work, network list still gray... Maybe if I give myself a new nick.. ok getting further.. now what, lets look at the documentation. Oh wait there isn't any.. (right?) Then I finally set it up correctly (I guess) and the chat window isn't updating. I type a message and I don't see it displayed, I don't see any chat going on etc.. Am I doing something wrong? If so, a lot of other people will too and give up way before I would..

It needs to be more dummy proof. Whatever community hub we decide on
needs to be a few clicks away to attract non dev's & techies and
actually build a community.

With BeShare (just as an example..) Unpack it anywhere, launch it, click "Connect to BeShare <server>". That's it. Nice!

As far as resources to maintain it- it already works and runs, comes with the source and Jeremy is still around to help (he answered a question for me today)

As far as Caya- It requires gcc4 and will not run on the latest gcc2
hybrid (least not here..)

The chosen program should be a one stop shop. Does that mean connect to any and all possible protocols and networks? Probably. But it definitely needs to be intuitive as well.

Also, having the ability to share files like BeShare aids in
development- users can test builds instantly, give feedback instantly,
find a library file they might need, a dev can share a source, another
patches it and gives it back, discusses it etc.. without leaving BeShare! I did that today with SMCollins to test the ice1712 driver.
I know other programs can probably do this, but I don't know any that
are working nicely in Haiku now (without QT).

There are many brilliant people here who can help and inspire others..
Let's make them accessible.

We may already have a large community we just don't know it! :-)
-Jimmy (shaka)