[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:21:14 -0700

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Quoth "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> | As far as python, I think that you need more facts (that I am quite sure
> | that Donn could provide):
> |
> | 1) How big would the package be? Talking in extremes, 10k for Python is a
> | "great deal". 100 mb is not. I am sure that it is somewhere in between. :)
>
> Right, I think more like 60-70 Mb.

Python 2.5.2 weighs in at 13Mb:
http://ports.haiku-files.org/downloads
The version currently posted needs some testing, so if anyone wants to
kick it around and give feedback go for it.
With everything listed on HaikuPorts download page included into a
build with all of the other optional things also included, it is now
pushing close to 500MB.  Note that most of the packages on HaikuPorts
include everything that gets included with a full build.  They could
be made smaller if built to be distro packages etc.  That's what
Kaliber has done with TiltOS's box, you can pick the base package or
the -devel versions when needed.

> | 2) Last I knew, BeThon was in pretty good shape. That implied that Python
> | would be the only language that you could dev Haiku apps with for real.
>
> That's true (other than C++ of course), but I'm glad you remind me
> about that.

The BeFPC guys might be surprised to hear that.  Last I heard they
already had it running on Haiku.  Maybe they'll update their website
soon.

> I guess 8 years ago I would naturally have been very excited if Be wanted
> to bring Python and Bethon on board, but I would have expected that to
> include some engineering work, to make Bethon more complete and maintainable.
> Today, I suppose I have more opportunity to work on that myself, since
> I have access to Haiku internals that I lacked with BeOS - but honestly
> I'm not very motivated, as in the interim I have lost some of my earlier
> enthusiasm for Python as a BeOS or Haiku application platform.  I'm sure
> willing to do maintenance and minor development on Bethon (at least,
> I could release changes for Haiku somewhere), but I don't think it's
> suitable for release as a system component in its present state and
> I wasn't planning on doing anything about that, myself.
>
> So I couldn't recommend that Bethon be included, and if that was the
> main attraction with Python ...
>
>        Donn

Yeah, I'd say leave Bethon out.