[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:14:18 -0400

So let me make a couple of suggestions:
1) Considering the date - yeah - I misread freeze vs release, but the point is
still the same. I think that the more important thing to do would be to pledge,
informally, among the devs, not to change ANYTHING not directly related to a
blocking bug. Just like the Linux folks (and, incidentally, most commercial
devs) do. You ship Alpha 1, then open the gates SLIGHTLY - only fixing bugs in
the Alpha, no new functionality. Probably not even upgrading libraries and
packages, unless they fix a bug. Leave anything beyond that to after R1.

2) As far as Python, as an interpreted language, there is a very large chicken
and egg issue. Python apps will never be easy for end users to use UNLESS
python's runtime is distributed with the OS. You end up with all of that fun
dependency garbage that other platforms have. One of the best parts of the BeOS
experience is that you don't have to worry about runtime dependencies or
versions of crap.

Having said that, of course, it is also not realistic to include every runtime
from every dynamic language in the world. Python, IMHO, is one of the nicest
and one of the best supported, but on top of that, it is the only one with
BeOS/Haiku bindings.

I believe that having a second development environment for Haiku is a good
thing. C++ is, honestly, too hard. Yes, I can do it as can a lot of other
people, but it is really hard. I wouldn't try to develop Wonderbrush in Python,
but a lot of applications could be written a lot faster and in less code in
Python. Easier and less code means, I believe, more apps. And, unlike VB (for
example), Python doesn't make you write bad code. Making those apps more easily
deployable is a good thing.

I will freely admit to being a Python fanboi. I really like the language. But
if it were Ruby or some other language with the same sort of support that
Bethon offers, I would adapt. I would like to see Python adopted. I would like
to see some work done to reduce the footprint to the minimal size possible,
possibly including using one of the variety of other Python implementations
(TinyPy comes to mind).

Michael