[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:18:13 -0700

2008/9/25 Donovan Schulteis <deej575@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Before that, no one really knows when it will be.  No point in setting
> a deadline, as I'm sure everyone that is working is working as hard
> and as fast at it as they can.  Why pressure them even more?

There's sort of a problem with that suggestion: because it's a
volunteer project, and not all developers might necessarily be
interested in fixing alpha-blocking issues, new instabilities could be
introduced in existing "stable" areas between now and alpha. A "code
freeze" is generally a mutual agreement between all involved that only
fixes to blockers will occur between the "freeze date" and the
release. Thus, it's sort of an important step in preparation for a
release.

Let me point out that in the not-so-distant past, it seems like often
times when a "milestone" seemed to be reached that allowed Haiku to do
something grand that it couldn't do before, it quickly destabilized
again as things got refactored, rewritten, replaced, etc.

This is of course normal, expected, natural progress, and completely
reasonable for an in-development OS... But, when you're striving for
an actual "release" - you need to freeze this sort of development.
Perhaps this is what an "Alpha 1 Branch" will solve :) If that's the
case, then I suppose this is not an important discussion ;)

Anyhow, I'm not trying to step on any toes here, but rather just
trying to lend a viewpoint for why setting a "freeze date" was
probably proposed in the first place, and why I think some felt it was
a reasonable thing to vote yes on. If it was a pointless proposal
after all, then so be it :)

- Urias