[haiku-development] Re: Voting aftermath

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:06:34 -0400

Not to stir the pot, but since we were asked to discuss...

Setting a release date is *not* a good idea. Think about all of the press that
you will get. Slashdot, osnews, reddit, etc. Then, if it doesn't happen (for
whatever reason...)? Yikes! I learned early on that "when it is done" is the
best of all possible answers.

As far as python, I think that you need more facts (that I am quite sure that
Donn could provide):
1) How big would the package be? Talking in extremes, 10k for Python is a
"great deal". 100 mb is not. I am sure that it is somewhere in between. :)
2) Last I knew, BeThon was in pretty good shape. That implied that Python would
be the only language that you could dev Haiku apps with for real.

Michael

#1: Most of the accepted proposals lack an adopter: someone who
volunteers to be the one who make sure the proposal actually gets
implemented. If you have developer rights on dev.haiku-os.org you can
add yourself, if you are a non-developer who wants to do good things,
send me a private mail and I'll put you up for the proposals.

#2: Proposal 7, to set a preliminary freeze date for alpha 1, tied at
5 against 5. Please discuss.

#3: Proposal 31, to include python in the alpha 1 distribution, tied
out as well at 4 against 4. I saw a discussion start in another place.

Anyway, enjoy the things, I'm going to start working on my adopted tasks!

N.