[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:54:53 -0700

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:19:36AM +0200, Ingo Weinhold wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:44:14 -0700
> > Von: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > This time it doesn't work.  makebootable stops with "Failed to read",
> > which looks from the source to mean it didn't get the bootblocks from
> > the resources.  Assuming that the resource *is* in fact there [how do I
> > tell?],
>
> "listres" or "xres -l" can tell you.

Ah, yes.  Thanks.  [Getting rusty in these techniques... (:-/)]
And the BootCode resource *is* present.

> > I suppose that it's getting LoadResource from the older library
> > and there's some incompatibility.
>
> I wouldn't rule that out, though I don't think anything has changed that
> could cause that.
>
> > So, what do I do to get a bootable partition?
>
> How about running the makebootable from the old installation? The boot code
> has last changed when the directory structure was changed (beginning of April
> this year). If your existing installation is older, you could try to put a
> copy of the new boot loader at the old location (beos/system/zbeos) and still
> use the old makebootable. Unless I'm missing something even BeOS's
> makebootable should work with this method.

I tried that.  I get a KDL panic that it "can't find the boot partitions!".
[That was why I ran the new makebootable -- in case that paths had changed
again]  If nothing has changed since April, I'd think either one would
work.  I wonder if I've missed something else?  I just ran the Installer
(actually from May 5... r30629.  Yep it *is* time I updated (:-/) but the
directory structure is the current one), giving it the USB stick as source,
and the desired target partition -- and actually told the installer to make
the partition bootable.  I got the KDL panic when I tried to boot, which is
why I tried to use the new matching makebootable.  I tried again using the
r30629 makebootable, and got back to the KDL.

-- Pete --