[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 02:31:06

Hi Pete

> I guess all one really needs to make sure is erased is the previous
> system hierarchy (which is what I did this time, and it seems OK).

Yes the system should be mostly self-contained in there. Maybe you want
to wipe-update common and develop as well. What you want to keep usually
resides in home, which can mostly be left as is.

> Maybe the Installer could do that (warning the user first), as
> update-installs are likely to be fairly frequent with Haiku for
> a while!

There was a discussion about that once. Not sure about the exact
outcome, but wipeing system is always safe (as the user is not supposed
to mess with it and if he does he's at fault; of course it'd still be
documented), wiping common and develop could be done after asking IMO.

Regards
Michael