[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:32:21 -0700

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 02:56:37PM -0700, scott mc wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM, <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > So, what do I do to get a bootable partition?
> >

> Did that laptop still have a BeOS partition on it?  Also how many
> partitions does it have, was it a total of 3 or 4?  I think I
> originally installed BeOS and then created the other partitions from
> there, I forget as that was a few months ago.  You might be able to
> copy the zipped image to the BeOS partition, unzip it, mount it and
> then install from that mounted image to an open partition.

Yep -- there's still a "BeOS 4.5", plus three Haiku partitions.
But does that gain me anything?  I can *mount* the stick directly.
I just can't (or can't see any way to) *run* from it, so I get the
matching kernel and libraries.  I'd have to be able to boot a mounted
image, wouldn't I?

[BTW, how does one 'mount' an image?  I think there's a 'mountimage' app
somewhere, but not on the distro that I can see.]

-- Pete --