[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:56:37 -0700

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM, <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>    I seem to be in trouble again...
>
> I downloaded pre-alpha-r32645 and put the image on a USB stick to install
> on the ThinkPad.  The ThinkPad won't boot from a stick, so my scheme
> previously was to run the Installer from an existing partition to copy
> everything over, and then run makebootable from system/bin in the new
> partition to complete things.
>
> This time it doesn't work.  makebootable stops with "Failed to read",
> which looks from the source to mean it didn't get the bootblocks from
> the resources.  Assuming that the resource *is* in fact there [how do I
> tell?], I suppose that it's getting LoadResource from the older library
> and there's some incompatibility.
>
> So, what do I do to get a bootable partition?
>
>                        -- Pete --

Did that laptop still have a BeOS partition on it?  Also how many
partitions does it have, was it a total of 3 or 4?  I think I
originally installed BeOS and then created the other partitions from
there, I forget as that was a few months ago.  You might be able to
copy the zipped image to the BeOS partition, unzip it, mount it and
then install from that mounted image to an open partition.
-scottmc