[haiku-development] Re: Making updated partition bootable

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 00:19:36 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:44:14 -0700
> Von: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     I seem to be in trouble again...
>
> I downloaded pre-alpha-r32645 and put the image on a USB stick to install
> on the ThinkPad.  The ThinkPad won't boot from a stick, so my scheme
> previously was to run the Installer from an existing partition to copy
> everything over, and then run makebootable from system/bin in the new
> partition to complete things.
>
> This time it doesn't work.  makebootable stops with "Failed to read",
> which looks from the source to mean it didn't get the bootblocks from
> the resources.  Assuming that the resource *is* in fact there [how do I
> tell?],

"listres" or "xres -l" can tell you.

> I suppose that it's getting LoadResource from the older library
> and there's some incompatibility.

I wouldn't rule that out, though I don't think anything has changed that could
cause that.

> So, what do I do to get a bootable partition?

How about running the makebootable from the old installation? The boot code has
last changed when the directory structure was changed (beginning of April this
year). If your existing installation is older, you could try to put a copy of
the new boot loader at the old location (beos/system/zbeos) and still use the
old makebootable. Unless I'm missing something even BeOS's makebootable should
work with this method.

CU, Ingo