[haiku-development] Re: Looking for feedback on enhancements for dealing with Mac keyboards with Haiku

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:09:30 -0400

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The build system isn't intended for "someone who comes along". HaikuImage
> is
> the central place that defines what ends up in the image, so the general
> expectation should be that you have to edit that file, if you want to add
> something to the image.
>
> Yes, everything except the .svn dir and later also except whatever other
> undesirables may crop up. Which is exactly my point: You no longer list the
> files that shall end up in the image, instead you have to list the
> exceptions.

You made your point, I am clearly in the wrong here. Thank you for
correcting me. I added a patch to http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/7964 that
adds the 4 new Apple Aluminum keymap files in an "Apple Aluminum" submenu. I
also posted a screenshot of the result on the ticket. The HaikuImage part of
the patch explicitly copies each of the layout files one-by-one so the .svn/
dir, temp files, etc. won't get copied to the image.

Unfortunately last night after I uploaded the patch I noticed that it isn't
marking the option in the menu correctly. Embarrassingly the bug even shows
in the screenshot. Give me a change to fix that and upload a new patch. But
you can look at the HaikuImage changes in the patch to see if they are okay.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
 wrote:

> Why are there multiple aluminium layouts now? I intended it to be
> aluminium vs. white vs. blue&white/grey etc. keyboard layout 1:n to
> French, German, ... key maps.

There are multiple layouts for the different varieties of Apple Aluminum
keyboards that exist. The original one that you made is for the extended
international version. The US version differs slightly from that. Then there
are 2 more for the mini versions which are also a little bit different.

I am planning on adding Japanese Apple Aluminum keyboard layout files as
well if I can figure out what key codes are mapped to the kana and eisu
keys.

At this point there are a lot of similar layouts for the different versions
of the Apple Aluminum keyboard. If I add Japanese extended and mini versions
that will be 6 different layouts. So, I decided to try and put them in a
submenu so that the main menu isn't crowded with Apple Aluminum files.

A similar thing could be done for the white version, the blue&white version,
etc. But, make sure that you take the international vs. US layout
differences in mind. They are not the same and therefore require different
layout files.

The whitespace in the suggested directory name is calling for trouble.

Whitespace is okay, you just have to be a little bit more careful in the Jam
file.

John Scipione