[haiku-development] Re: Looking for feedback on enhancements for dealing with Mac keyboards with Haiku

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:32:04 -0400

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx> wrote:

> As far as I remember, the Keymap Preflet sooner or later will be scheduled
> for a big refactoring - we need a native keymaps switching solution instead
> of ancient KeymapSwitcher optional package. So, probably, the motivation do
> not apply patches is just low significance of this work?

Well, if it is due for replacement anyway than my work can be committed
without any worry. :) In all seriousness I'd like to hear more about this
native keymaps switching solution.

>  In any case, do you think adding an exact layout for all sorts of
>> keyboards is a good thing to do?
>>

> In my opinion only restricted set of generic layout types should be
> provided. The problem is that only one layout is really used [and just as
> eye-candy for only-once configuration!] but all of them are taking a part of
> the resulting image.

It isn't just eye-candy. Besides, what is wrong with adding layout files for
each and every keyboard? If you have the keyboard you'll be happy, if not,
you'll use a generic one. The layout files are small on the order of ~50Kb
each. Having your exact keyboard layout as an option is better than not
having it as an option.

John Scipione