[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha discussion summary (was: Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions)

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:49:17 +0200

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> In order to keep the discussion flowing as smoothly as possible, I have
> taken the liberty of summarizing the points brought up in the main
> thread. Check it out on the dev.haiku-os.org wiki:
>
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/AlphaStatus#Discussion7thofAugust
>
> I have tried to summarize all ideas. In case I missed any, please add
> them yourself if you have the permissions or send me a private message.
> Make sure you add a reference to the original message in the thread on
> the freelists archive. This archive can be found here:
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/haiku-development/
>
> I will keep this summary up to date the upcoming days.
>
> I would like to add another (procedural) proposal: in order to streamline
> the decision process, I'd propose we keep the discussion open for a few
> days, and then divide the items up into proposals on which the developers
> can vote. Each proposal would have to be adopted by someone who will be
> responsible for it, in order to prevent some ideas to disappear. I hope
> this will prevent this thread to turn into an endless discussion.

Very nice work on the Whiteboard page! I would like to propose to remove
the WebKit idea for the time being. If we wanted to drop Firefox, update
and finish WebKit and build a capable browser on top of it, that would
seriously hold everything up. Therefor I think this idea was just too
immature for even including in the list. Obviously I mean no disrespect for
Ryan's work, but come purely from a "what would hold up the release too
much" perspective.

Best regards,
-Stephan