[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 01:49:19 +0200

On 2007-06-09 at 23:12:01 [+0200], Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I assumed the PPC version is more or less non
> existent. Am I wrong? What is the state of Haiku on  PPC?

It's certainly still needs quite a bit of work before becoming usable, but
it's definitely far away from being non existent. :-) The state when I
stopped was this: On my Mac mini the boot loader was able to access a
network-remote BFS disk (over a home-brewn protocol), load kernel and
modules, start the kernel, initialize all kernel services, including the PCI
manager, and hit the point where it wouldn't find a boot disk.

Missing for continuing booting over network would a network device driver
(which hopefully can be easily ported from FreeBSD) and a driver for the
remote disk protocol. For booting from hard disk there're probably all kinds
of drivers or the architecture specific parts of generic existing drivers
related to disk access missing. I don't know in which state drivers for other
relevant periphery (graphics card, USB) are. In doubt they need to be
extended or ported.

Moreover there's a bit of architecture specific work to be done in the
runtime loader, libroot and probably some more in the kernel to provide
userland features. Those parts shouldn't be that hard. The biggest block are
the drivers, I think.

Also missing is some architecture specific support in some third party
libraries and applications (e.g. gdb), which might be less urgent, though.

Finally we have a problem with the current binutils. The linker chokes at a
certain file. Probably a rather small issue that just needs to be looking
into.

I might have missed things, but that should be the gist of it.

CU, Ingo