[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:51:15 +0200 CEST

Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > > How about the obvious: "network_block_device"?
> > Now that's a bit redundant, don't you think? But if you want to
> > keep
> > remote_disk for the boot loader's protocol only, then I certainly
> > won't
> > mind, either.
> I really think we should keep the short name NBD for the Network
> Block Device
> protocol. It's distinct like FTP and NFS.

It's distinct, but it's neither an accepted standard, nor widely known
- it's currently mostly a Linux only solution. But since the protocol
is called NBD indeed, I think the obvious suggestion by Ingo is what we
should use.
But NBD also has some unfortunate limitations that don't allow a disk
larger than 4 GB, so I'm not sure there is much value in it, anyway.

> BTW, If someone wants to help getting PXE boot from network
> implemented,
> your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> The current state is this:
> Kernel is loaded via PXE and executed, but it doesn't mount any boot
> partition.
> For this, the kernel would need to bring up networking and TCP and
> load a
> NBD or remote_disk device.

For that to work we would need a working solution first. Then, we would
need to define a protocol on how the kernel knows what service to use -
and how.
Also, the boot loader should then be smart enough to load the
networking stack, and eventually all networking drivers before starting
the kernel.

Bye,
   Axel.