[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 20:30:55 +0200

>Ryan Leavengood wrote (2007-06-06, 20:12:36 [+0200]):
>> On 6/6/07, Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yeah, I figured that much, by my question was more in the direction
>> > whether
>> > EFI support is planned and/or what the challenges and issues are to
>> > realize
>> > EFI support (apart from HW availability).
>>
>> This isn't my area of expertise in the least, but it seems we would
>> need a developer with EFI hardware, the necessary specs, and the
>> motivation to do the work (which for all we know might be extensive.)
>>
>> My argument might be that the target market for this might be so small
>> as to not be a viable project for the core Haiku team. But if someone
>> with a MacBook Pro or other EFI hardware really wanted to get Haiku
>> running on it, I'm sure they would get full support from the project.
>
>How similar in concept are OpenFirmware and EFI? Because it seems Ingo has

Afaik there are two totally different beasts, even though the idea might be
similar. EFI is an Intel development afaik. Originally it was planned that
Vista will only be available for products with EFI support and I think this
is still the plan at least for the 64bit editions in the future, but I
haven't checked the latest status here.

>gotten pretty far with the OpenFirmware bootloader, until he stopped
>because networking was not done yet (at the time). He wrote the bootloader
>so that it would boot off of a "remote disk", which was the image he
>generated in Linux with a PPC crosscompiler. A nice setup for having "ok"
>turn around times during development. Maybe the framework can be reused for
>EFI? I'd love to have that, because I am eager to by a Mac for a long time.
>
>On the other hand, Macs have BootCamp, maybe it would be a lot faster to
>fix whatever problem renders Haiku unable to boot in that setup. If that's
>even the case. Anyone tried it at all?

Interesting question, cannot test, PPC hardware ;-(

Rossi