[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 00:27:32 +0200

On 2007-06-08 at 18:24:36 [+0200], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2007-06-08 at 11:51:15 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > For that to work we would need a working solution first. Then, we would
> > need to define a protocol on how the kernel knows what service to use -
> > and how.
> > Also, the boot loader should then be smart enough to load the
> > networking stack, and eventually all networking drivers before starting
> > the kernel.
>
> Hm, wouldn't the bootloader have to *include* the networking stack and the
> drivers? Maybe I'm wrong, but there would be no way to access the modules,
> since they are living on the other side of the network link, right?

ATM, the boot loader contains a mini networking stack. It implements my
simple remote disk protocol (and could implement NBD), thus having access to
the complete boot volume. And it does (or should) indeed load all required
modules from there.

> AFAIK, PXE offers downloading an initramfs (cpio-fs), too, so we could stuff
> the needed stuff in there and then the bootloader could tell the kernel that
> there is such a beast.
> The kernel would then of course have to unpack/mount the initramfs and
> invoke
> a specific program, which in this case (NBD-boot) would set up networking,
> mount /boot and then would let the kernel continue the booting process.
>
> Marcus: When I tested it last time, I think I noticed that your PXE
> bootloader does not use any initramfs yet, is that correct?
>
> Is there any reason not to use an initramfs?

I'm not sure if that would actually simplify things. It also doesn't sound as
flexible, for someone has to build this initramfs and put the right things
into it.

CU, Ingo