[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:30:39 +0200

On 2007-06-09 at 19:33:06 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > I wouldn't use the initramfs method by default (i.e. for booting from
> > standard disks), but for network boot, it might indeed be the best
> > choice.
>
> Not only for network boot - also for coping with buggy or incapable
> firmware. For example, I wanted to use the tarfs to boot the PPC
> version on the Pegasos later - or at least until I have found ways to
> work around that firmware in a sane way :-)

I suppose, it would also help with the standard PPC port (i.e. with
reasonably well working OF), since we could use François's already existing
NBD driver and remove the network support from the boot loader again.

> I would think it should be possible to link the tarfs into the boot
> loader, such that the network and firmware loader would automatically
> load everything we need in a single go

Yes, it should be possible to generate an ELF object file with the tgz in
the data section and link it into the boot loader.

> - and that would also allow us
> to remove the networking mini stack from the boot loader (even if
> optionally).

As long as the firmware provides a means to load a file over network (my
Mac's OF has TFTP support, for instance), we can ditch it anyway.

CU, Ingo