[haiku-development] Re: Design for signed packages

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:06:06 +0100

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
> I don't understand how that's significantly different from simply
> maintaining hashes of all the binaries in our source control and
> verifying them during download. There's really no need to sign them
> assuming we trust devs who have commit access already.

The advantage of signing over a simple hash is that it depends on the
private key, which is well, private. An attacker who could gain access
to our package repo server could simply exchange the binaries and change
the hashes. It's also easy to do a man-in-the-middle attack, changing
these things on the fly.
Both attack scenarios don't work with signing: without access to the
private key (which needs to be guarded closely), the attacker cannot
generate a valid signature. All he could do is exchange the package
containing the public CA certs, so new installations could be
compromised... but everyone doing an update on an older system would
immediately notice that things are wrong.

--
So long, jua