[haiku-development] Re: Defining more standard attributes

  • From: Izomiac <haikulist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:04:40 -0400

Audio files and video files tend to have one major difference which
complicates matters.  Audio files generally have a trivial container and
contain one data stream.  Video files have more complicated containers and
contain at least one audio and one video stream.  Technically, a reference
Matroska file could have dozens of video streams, audio streams, subtitles,
menus, and more.  Realistically, there are a lot of anime encodes with dual
audio and two sets of subtitles (styled and plain).  So setting the metadata
for the container would need to account for having multiple streams.

That said, audio and subtitle languages would be nice to have in metadata.
Video resolution ("size" is ambiguous), is far less important than aspect
ratio since bitrate is a much better indicator of quality (720p or 1080i is
important for TVs, on computers it's resized and made progressive).
Bitrate, OTOH, is difficult to determine for some VBR files; from what I've
heard you basically have to process the whole file to accurately determine
the average.

Most of the media I play is anime for video, and manga for images.  In that
context I'd also like metadata for the translating group and the url for
where I procured it.  Sequence numbers, episode/track titles and
series/album titles should also apply to most media.