[haiku-development] Re: Defining more standard attributes

Axel Dörfler wrote:

For example, there already are Audio:{Rating|Length|Genre|Year} attributes which could be helpful for other types as well. Should we create subtypes for the different types like Image:Rating and Video:Rating? Or should we replace the Audio: attributes in question with Media: attributes? Or give those with a general meaning even the META: prefix?

Any kind of file could have a rating. In this specific sense, rating could even be a META: attribute.

Other possibly helpful attributes:
        {Media|Image|Video}:Size

What exactly is the meaning of Size here? It is obviously not file size (as we already have an "attribute" for that).

        Video:Bitrate

Media:Bitrate? Audio and video would have that.

        Video:Codec

Non-indexed, right?

        Video:Length

Again, Media:Length or Media:Duration

        META:Keywords

Don't we have that already?

        {META|Media}:Thumbnail

META makes more sense. Although the icon itself could be the thumbnail.

Naturally, our applications should set those attributes automatically if possible (things like Video:Length, and Video:Size).
Opinions welcome.

We should go ahead and write our "indexing server" and add plugins to it to handle all the relevant types and use it to define attributes/indexes. :)

-Bruno