[haiku-development] Re: Defining more standard attributes

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:47:59 -0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:

For example, there already are Audio:{Rating|Length|Genre|Year} attributes which could be helpful for other types as well. Should we create subtypes for the different types like Image:Rating and Video:Rating? Or should we replace the Audio: attributes in question with Media: attributes? Or give those with a general meaning even the META: prefix?

Any kind of file could have a rating. In this specific sense, rating could even be a META: attribute.

Other possibly helpful attributes:

What exactly is the meaning of Size here? It is obviously not file size (as we already have an "attribute" for that).

Media:Bitrate? Audio and video would have that.

Non-indexed, right?

Again, Media:Length or Media:Duration

Don't we have that already?

META makes more sense. Although the icon itself could be the thumbnail.

Naturally, our applications should set those attributes automatically if possible (things like Video:Length, and Video:Size).
Opinions welcome.

We should go ahead and write our "indexing server" and add plugins to it to handle all the relevant types and use it to define attributes/indexes. :)