[haiku-development] Re: 64 bit

  • From: "Mark A Hayes" <markarnold@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:02:27 +0200

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 10:15 AM, "Stephan Aßmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> Ok, as I said in my other mail, Haiku R2 and up need to provide binary
> compatibility with Haiku R1. Just like other platforms keep running old
> binaries.

I agree that R2 needs to stay compatiable with R1. You never ever break user
space. Totally agree.

Which makes it extremely important to make R1 a future-proof and simple ABI.
The mistakes made now sticks around for decades, and the current baseline seems
overly complicated and messy. Keeping gcc2 compat around must be a future
maintenance nightmare.

> Look at how much backlash there was when Haiku introduced package
> management and with it a new system directory layout. A lot of apps were
> broken due to it (not the binary compatibility was broken but the way
> they were installed, they needed repackaging). But this tells us that
> claiming there is nothing that Haiku needs to stay compatible with is
> just plain nonsense.

Aha! This finally explains the real reason. You want to stay compatible with
what you already have.

You certainly do not break existing ABI's on a released product, but I didn't
think about "internal" releases and internal project tension.

So my points are moot (I still disagree with the end result, but I don't want
to mess with project politics.)

Moving on :)

Cheers
m.a.