[openbeos-cdt] Re: Replicants

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-cdt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:27:37 +0100

-- Johan Aires Rastén, on Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:58:12 +0100:
> As said before, I don't think we've seen the full potential of
> replicants yet. However, this far I'm not sure if replicants are good
> solutions to giving me access to the things listed above.

That's it in my opinion. Only very few things lend itself for
replicating on the Desktop. The inherent problem is that it's normally
full of windows, or at least large portions are obscured by them.
The once discussed feature not to obscure certain screen areas when
maximizing or placing windows won't help here.
You can quickly switch to an emtpy workspace, but you could just as
well switch to the "real" running app in that case.

So usage on the Desktop could be more of a decorative function, like a
calender replicant, that seemingly merges over your background picture.
Tugged away in the bottom right corner, which many keep empty of
windows to have the Deskbar unobscured.
Another nice, but small usable area is the very top of the screen.
Haiku's tabs keep them free. Enough to place a Workspaces replicant
there to quickly change workspaces with the mouse.

Regards,
Humdinger

Deutsche Haiku News @ http://www.haiku-gazette.de